Monday, July 4, 2011

Same sex marriage?

Woohoo! A definite-hot-chilli-pepper topic!

I joined a conversation class at uni. And this was the topic for our second meeting. I found that this class is very interesting. It is not just helping me to polish up my English, but also, learn many things from my mates. Moreover, they are all from different countries, background and cultures which I found fascinating because I could learned from them, through their differences.

As for the today's meeting, there were 4 of us, including the mediator. She had done a great job! I felt like the class was more interesting as compared to the first meeting.

Anyway, my reason of sharing the story here is not to tell you guys of what is same sex marriage. I know it is a taboo to certain cultures and countries especially for the eastern countries. So, I am not gonna touch on that issue. What I am gonna write here is about the differences of thinking between the westeners and us, the easteners.

1. Religious belief
I think this issue has the largest gap among all. In my opinion, the westeners see the religion as just part of life. It is like an accessory to them. So, they have the choice whether to wear them or put them aside and try a new thing. Unlike us (in this case I am saying from my own context as Malaysian), as a Muslim, religion is our way or life. It is the most important thing - the pillar to keep us alive! So, everything that we do, are all based on it. We cannot run from it.

Whenever I brought up the issue of religion here, I see it as one important matter in deciding the end decision. Especially whenever we are saying about marriage, religion plays important role as it is involving the 'combination' of two different soul, to stay alive together and continuing the human population. So, marriage is actually as a tool of legalizing us to carry out this procedure into our life. That is why, we could see many ways of marriage could be seen and they are all based on the individuals faith and beleives.

However, as for the westerners, they see marriage as fulfilling the human needs, love as well as desires. They put the religion away as it is an optional thing in life. Their life is about the 'current life', no 'after life'. Therefore, they would go all out totally different from what we belief. Yes, I agree that we are also will go all out whenever it is involving about our own marriage but the way we carry it out, is not the same as they see it. We have cultures and religion. Everything is based on those two elements. Even while at the 'searching-stage' of our partner, we wont simply do things as accordance to what our desire tells us. We still have boundaries!

Unlike the westeners, they will do whatever their heart tell them to do. That explains why, they are more romantic than us! Especially while at the stage of 'tackling' the partner. Just take any of their romantic movies, the romantic scenes are all before they are getting married and the ending will always be whenever they are at church, walking away to the car with the sign 'just married'. Then the movie end, with the tought of it as a happy ending. Everyone will go out from the cinema with a smile in the face, telling their partner that is such a good movie.

But wait, are you sure that is a good movie? Have u ever thought why they end the movie 'only' at the church? Hmmm. Just look at any hollywood stars real life, their marriage wont last forever - most of them. Unlike those easteners ( take Malaysia for example) they will try to keep their marriage until their last breath. Ziana Zain, Amy Mastura, M. Nasir etc. they are all some of the examples. I know the trend is starting to change but that is happening due to the lots of 'assimilation' of westeners way of life into our life. We are less-proud of our own culture due to the large exposure about westeners which is the current trend at the moment. But if we stick to the traditional way, I beleive, our marriage institution will be the best in the world - considering religion as one of the main key in shaping our marriage processes.

2. Human equality
This is another issue that they keep arguing whenever this topic is arised. Well, if there is no religion in this world, I am defintiely gonna be first to support this. To me, we do have right to love whoever we want. We also have the right to marry anyone that we like. Just do whatever you wanna do, there will be no right and wrong. You have no one to judge you of what you are doing.

However, as a Muslim, a person who knows about the existence of God and believe that there is another life after we die, I am gonna say that this is not an option for us to choose. I know, this might be sounded biased, but this opinion is made of by considering religion as my main way of life. I beleive in Allah, and I have known about the past story of 'Kaum Hud'. And I took that as a reminder, something to hold on that 'this way of life' is against of what is being mentioned in the Quran.

If you say that that is inequality, and human rights should win in this case, please explain about the war in Iraq and Pakistan. They are all human decision - who always proclaim themselves to fight for the world peace, but is that how they definine the 'peace'? What I want to tell here is everything that is done, set, created by human is always 'imperfect'. Unlike the creation of God, they are all 'flawless'. So, whenever it is being said that same sex marriage is wrong, there must be something that is not right with it. But we human keep fighting for it with many 'human-excuses' which considered as 'reasons' so that it would be accepted by the world.

I know this might be hard to be accepted especially for those who are already in 'the scene'. But, just before I end this post, please bear in mind, Islam is easy, but we are always finding the excuses so that it will look complicated. The word 'easy' here will only come if we start to practise it as our way of life. Do what we are asked to do, leave those which are forbidden for us and insyaAllah, things will always by our side.

No comments: