Saturday, July 9, 2011

Referees

I forgot to tell that we had lost in the Squash Semi final which consequenced us to be the ref for the final.

At first, it sounded very easy to me but when I was there, knowing that top 2 teams of the league were going to fight against each other, it has made me hesitated to be the ref. Why?

1. They definitely gonna question every decision that I make. So, I have to prepare with good and concrete argument so that the will be no further complain.
2. My partner ( as well as my captain ) had agree that we both are not a good ref. That was given slightly negative minded for us even before coming to the match.
3. The rest of the team members ( of the finalists ) gonna surrounding us while we are refreeing the game. So, it put more pressure to us! Especially for every decision made, it wont stop there, there is always someone else voice 'echoeing' of what we said.

So, throughout the final, I would say that was the longest 'nervous' period I had ever experienced. We have to ref 4 matches and eact match is having 5 sets. And there would be 2 'extremely' good players competing for each match. They were very professional - refreeing thir match just like watching Beng Hee competing against Azlan Iskandar! They know squash very well which means, they definitely know how to manipulate our decision.

Anyway, after the match, we both agreed that it was a good experiece for us. A very good exposure for us to get out from our comfort zone.

Like what Paud told me in the car,

" Hanafi, i'll defintiely remember this everytime I play in the semi final. You as well have to remind me about this. WE HAVE TO WIN IN THE SEMI SO THAT WE DONT HAVE TO REF THE FINAL! It was a long and scary night! "
We both laughed.

Paul, you definitely right! For the next comp, final is not an option!

No comments: